Monday, October 28, 2013

I Met My Idol!

Everyone has an idol. I have quite a few actually. Aside from family, I look up to Princess Diana, John Lennon and Buddy Valastro aka the Cake Boss. I can go on and on about my love for Diana and John (fun fact, I want my kids to be named Diana and John, I'm not even joking) but I can never meet them. I can never see them, never talk to them, never THANK them.

but Buddy? I can. AND I DID.

Yeah I'm living and working in WDW right now but I'm from New Jersey. Hoboken is actually my favorite city in NJ so when Cake Boss started I watched it and was immediately hooked. Yeah, his show is exaggerated. But you cannot deny the man knows his stuff. My aunt (another idol of mine) gave me his book for Christmas and just reading his preface alone, you can tell from one baker to another that he gets it. He knows the teeth pulling feeling of getting up before the sun, working tedious hours and having something go wrong, he knows his techniques. He started with cookies and worked his way up to wedding cakes. Carlos Bakery is over 100 years old, Buddy didn't just pick up a pastry bag to be on tv, this has literally been his whole life.

I have admired him my whole time as a baker. I've even made a trip to Carlos two or three times and can say that it is amazing and such a great feeling to be there. But I never got to meet Buddy. I wrote him fanmail once and he sent me an autographed card but I never got to physically meet him.

Last week was one hell of a week for me and it all started on Sunday, 10/14. Buddy was here for Sweet Sundays where guests pay for a breakfast buffet and food made by a visiting baker of pastry cook. That morning was Buddy's and it was...sold out. BUT he was having a book signing from 12-12:45, right in time before I had to go to work. They were giving out wristbands at 9 AM and when I walked up to the Festival Center there was already a line.

BUT I GOT A WRISTBAND! I purchased my books and went to stand around his stage to watch his presentation. Yeah my pictures are blurry and yeah I didn't get to eat the food but I got to see my idol making some of my most favorite things and I had a grin from ear to ear the whole time.
 After his demo was over, I headed over to the line to get my books signed. While we were on line a CM came and told us that to ensure enough time with Buddy, he was just going to be singing his autograph and there wouldn't be personalization. Keep that in the back of your head for later!

I get closer and closer to him and I literally start shaking. Just picture meeting your idol, someone you admire and look up to. It was happening to me! He greeted me with a hug and I just cut right to the chase. I told him that I knew we were short for time and I wanted him to know how much of an inspiration he has been to me and how I can include him in my reasoning as to why I am a baker and that I am a baker for Epcot. I talked about how my aunt and I bond over him and that I'm also from Jersey and have been to his bakery a few times. He knew where Colts Neck was, woohoo! I was so scared that maybe he wouldn't be nice or that I would see some hidden true colors or something but he was so incredibly sweet and humble. He thanked me for letting him be an inspiration to me, HE thanked ME. Then he asked me my name and how to spell it, he personalize my book for me! I was literally shaking the entire time and it was just such a high, I still can't believe it happened!
Here we are, 2 Jersey bakers in Epcot! Buddy Valastro and I at his book signing

He personalized my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment