Friday, July 12, 2013

Traditions

Phew! It certainly was a busy day yesterday, hence why this post is the day after. Although busy and long it was nothing short of magical as yesterday was Traditions, the orientation into The Walt Disney Company. No matter what your status or your role, every single Cast Member sits through Traditions at some point. I actually didn't have to go because I am an active CM already but I asked them to let me go, that's how much I love it. It's not often one is excited to wake up at 5 AM!

Traditions takes place in Disney University which is a really great building near MK. Unfortunately I didn't have time to take any pictures and google isn't of much help. The lobby is a great decorated place with Disney quotes on the wall, characters coming out of tiles of the ceiling, and a TV area playing the biography of Walt Disney. The halls are lined with photographs of Disney legends and animators with their work, I always love walking past Ollie Johnston's. The classroom where Traditions is held is bursting at the seams with pixie dust with 2 of the large walls containing painted murals of various Disney characters. You get your ID (aka entrance to the parks-yeay!) and sit at tables with new friends! I met a really nice gentleman named Lee who had a really interesting story. He spent 20 years as a graphic designer but always wanted to do culinary so he decided to switch on over and here he is! It's never too late to go after your dreams!

I admit, the beginning of the program may seem boring, especially at 8 AM. There is this animated intro into to the business practices and ethics of the Walt Disney Company. It's given by Chris, an animated body in an animated monorail but with a CGI face, can you say creepy?

But it gets better! Trust me! Our Traditions was lead by 2 great CM leaders: Scott and Vivian. They keep the atmosphere upbeat and fun and if you participate they give you little 'critters' to keep, this time I snagged 2!
A critter for each name tag!

You play some games like organizing the Disney history into order and having your table leader (which ended up being me!) write down as many Disney characters in a time frame. We ended up getting 38 and the winning team got 39, bummer! 
You also watch some videos from special CMs by the name of Tom Staggs, Meg Crofton, and Bob Iger. If you don't know who they are and you want a career with the company, stop reading (but of course come back after!) and go to Google. They are very important CMs to the company, especially Mr. Iger. Something I will always remember from his little speech is this: If you’re like most people, you already have a relationship with the Walt Disney Company. However, beginning today, you will no longer be like most people. Because now, you are part of the Walt Disney CompanyIt's just so weird to think that I am a part of this company that has been with me my whole life, that I get to work for the company that one of my heroes built and created from a couple bucks in his pocket in his suitcase. With Campus Rep included, I've been with the company for a year and I still can't believe the mouse is my boss and I have a castle in my backyard, pinch me!

There are certain elements of Traditions that make it special. Places that you go to, a special guest that stops by to bring you something special but I'm not going to ruin it for you. I'm sure if you're really curious and snoop around the internet that you will find out what they are but I made a promise to Mickey not to tell. 

I do have to mention one thing though, on Traditions you are representing the company. You might not have your name tag on your shirt but a group of people dressed in professional attire being led by a CM, it's pretty obvious. So please try and act professional. I take my Disney career and things like Tradition seriously.  This isn't the place to complain that it's hot out and then exclaim 'air conditioning!' as you walk in the doors and other CMs are walking out, this isn't the time to see a character getting dressed and point it out to everyone or to squeal in the park that you need to take a picture or hug someone. It's also most definitely not the time to complain that the floors are not heel friendly, everyone tells you NOT to wear heels for this reason. I think it's pretty obvious why I'm mentioning these things but I just want everyone to understand this is professional. Sure when I'm at home I sing Disney songs and kick my feet like a little school girl during the boat scene in Tangled, that's me being a disnerd in my own element. But when I represent the company, I become a professional Disnerd. Just a bit of a heads up.

Traditions will most likely be one of your favorite days as a CM, a day you will look back on years and years in the future. I truly love it and am glad I was allowed to do it again. It's more than just getting that park access (although I did take advantage of that last night!) but it officially begins your career with Walt Disney, YOU become a Cast Member.

No comments:

Post a Comment