Wednesday, July 10, 2013

My Apartment

So I moved in to my new apartment on Monday and it's already a very different experience than last year, could be worse but it is making me miss my old Patterson apartment and roommates. I got my last choice for housing, a 2 bedroom in The Commons. I still picked it because typically this housing is reserved for International Program participants and was only opened to everyone this year so I thought it would be a great way to meet people from all over. When I found out I got my last pick I asked if it was because I picked alcohol allowed apartments, I said I would live in an alcohol prohibited apartment if it meant living in Patterson. Unfortunately she said it goes based off of what you submitted and your departure date so this is what I got.

My issue with The Commons is that I'm paying more for a place that pales in comparison to Patterson. Patterson opened in 2008 and is very clean and modern. The Commons opened in 1998 so it has parts that are run down and it's older looking. The people living in our room before us did not take care of it at all. Disney stresses that you can't hang things on your walls, they give you a cork board and that's what you're supposed to use. These people had stickers EVERYWHERE and they left all this residue. There's Love You on my wall, a crown, Have a Nice Day on the back of our door, and even stickers on the light switches. I didn't even do this in my room when I was 6. There a pin holes in all the walls and it's just left it in a bit of a mess. Our roommates who were already here said they were supposed to come and repaint it but clearly they never did.  We do pay the extra money because we have a washer and dryer in the apartment so that means you don't have to use public ones like the other complexes and pay money for it. Still, I'd rather walk to do laundry and pay $1.25 a load.

It is important to know that you can submit a report when you get here. When the apartment team comes to do an inspection they check for things (so how they missed all of this is beyond me) and will fine you if it's not reported. So the afternoon we arrived I went to the front desk to ask for the paper to fill out. You just list any problems with certain areas of your apartment. For example I mentioned the residue and pinholes in the wall, our broken blinds, and the fact that there are stickers in the living room that also may leave residue when coming off. So what this does is show housing hey, they walked into this problem so when we notice it on inspection, it's not their fault. Just make sure to do it withing 24 hours of arriving. 

It is what it is. I say it could be worse because my roommates are all really nice. The girl I live with is actually doing the exact thing I did last year, baking for the Polynesian. I also have a roommate from Italy and Japan. But, I'm also the youngest in my apartment. I'm 21 and the other girls are 25 and 30. I do wish I had people closer to my age because it's easier to get along. But I did meet some really nice people at check in and haven't even gone to work yet so there's still more opportunities. And I still have all my friends from school down here as well. Like I said, could be worse!

So I've had some people asking to do a post on housing and while our place is still a work in progress (getting some more cleaning stuff today) but this is what we have to work with so far:
 My bed. If you're flying, don't come down with bedding. It saves room in your luggage. This bed in a bag and pillow cost me less than $35 all together.
 See, Disney gives you a cork board to put things on! I collect Disney pins so this is a great place for me to put them :)
 Our closet, smaller than Patterson but easily doable. Each closet comes with lockers for each roommate but you have to provide the lock.
 Our bathroom, bigger than Patterson because it has the sink area inside as well. We plan on getting some rugs for it today for the purpose of a rug and for a splash of much needed color! Us ladies think about these things!
 The bathroom also comes with a mini closet! Something I do like that Patterson didn't have. Great place to store your toiletries, makeup, medicine and your toilet paper stash
 Our room
 Looking out to to the dining area/kitchen from our room
 The reason why the Commons is more expensive is because there is a washer and dryer directly in your apartment
 Our living area. The TV does not come with the apartment. Yes, that is a Christmas tree and stickers. Beyond those blinds is a little patio
 The Kitchen
 More of the kitchen
 Looking out from our room. The first bedroom is on the left
Walking into the apartment. You can see why my first impression wasn't the greatest

No comments:

Post a Comment