Monday, July 8, 2013

DCP Check In Day!

So today was my check in for my second Disney Culinary Program and while it doesn't compare to last years, it could still be worse!

Check in for me started at 9 AM, they usually run until about 12 but the earlier you get there the better. What was so great compared to last years was how the handled my luggage. I don't know if it's because we were such a tiny group last year or half of us were idiots and didn't know what to do, but we had to lug our bags around. My dad was here last year so he stood in line with my suitcase while I had my other bags. Then I had to board all of that onto the bus to Patterson along with a bunch of other people checking in so before you knew it, the aisles were crammed with luggage. Taking them on and off was a hassle since they weighed so much. I remember it wearing me out and just getting overall frustrated. This year however, they let you store your luggage in a building while you check in. Then after check in is done, a bus takes you directly to your complex so there's no getting in the way of the regular CP buses.

Check in goes by fairly quick with such a small group. You first check in and get a sticky name tag and collect your program guide. From there you walk into the Vista office and find out your housing assignment. The housing goes based off what you put in for and when your departure date is. Next you go on to the next booth and get your picture taken for your housing ID. From there you proceed to a table where they will stick a sticker on your program guide telling you your location, this used to be done at casting. Then you will get a brief lecture on Disney look, a list of upcoming meetings and then once you fill out your I9 paper, you're good to go!

Waiting for the bus to the apartments did take quite a while, they would rather you sit on it and wait for more people for less trips so it did get kind of boring, I have to admit. But I would rather do that than lug everything around! I was placed in a 2 bedroom in The Commons. I will do a another separate post on that later

I got to my apartment at around 11 and had until 2 to be at casting. That required catching the bus at about 1 so I had a good 2 hours to just relax. At Casting you go through a series of steps. You are greeted in this lovely room by a cast member who gets the crowd going. I had my alumni pin from check in on and he asked me a couple questions and next thing you knew I was helping people out, it was great!


From here you begin the paperwork journey. This is where it's nice to be in a small group because it goes faster. One of your first steps is going over your I9s and the paperwork you did online. I ran into an issue with that because since I was already an active cast member it didn't go through. But if there is any issues they have computers where you can resubmit. It is imperative though that you have your I9 identifications with you at Casting. This typically includes your drivers license and either your Social Security Card, Passport, or Birth Certificate. You need to have the original document, this is where some people ran into a problem. From there you get fingerprinted and just receive some more instructions for the next few days. And then you're free to go! But as you exit the casting building, don't forget to take a peek at the door knobs!

 Aren't they cute!
The casting building overall is just really pretty!

After casting is done, you're all set for the day! I headed to Walmart after to pick up my bedding and hangers and what not. I recommend getting your bedding here if you're flying. I took down a spare cover sheet and regular sheet just in case but since I'm here for 5 months I decided to get full bedding. At Walmart they sell bed in a bag, which comes with a bed skirt, cover sheet, sheet, comforter and a pillow case. That and my pillow case all came out to less than $35 It's worth saving the room in your luggage and you can donate it to a worthy cause when you leave, win win! It's definitely not as long and tiring as last year where I ended falling asleep in the movies!

At the end of the day, I'm back where I belong! Since I was an alumni and current cast member they had my new nametag waiting for me. I am allowed to go to Traditions on Thursday so I will get park access then. Happy to be back!

 I got the alumni button at Vista check in and it felt so great to hear people wishing me a welcome back. I was put on the spot in Casting and shared a bit about my story and it opened the floor to people asking me questions and helping them out which I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment