Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Disney Housing Selection and Rent Amounts

I did my first program last year and I'm already starting off doing something new that the program has introduced. Last year, everything with housing was done on arrival day. If you wanted to live with certain people you had to wait in line with them together and then select your housing (or whatever was available was given to you) at the housing table part of check-in.

This year, Disney has started the housing process before you even board the plane (heck, if you're like me it's before you even started thinking about packing!) About 10 days before your arrival date, you will receive 2 emails from Disney housing containing a code and a temporary password to register for housing within 72 hours. To put into perspective, my arrival date is July 8th and I received my email yesterday, June 25th.

With the code and the password you can select preferences for the Disney apartment complexes or D.O.R.M.S: Disney Onsite Resident Management System. From here you have to fill out a little bit of information such as your contact info, an emergency contact and any specifications you need made for you apartment in regards to marriage, drinking age, and special needs accommodations.

From there they give you a list of the apartment complexes and their rental rates. Disney will take out rent for you apartment every week. So when you get your weekly paychecks, that number is AFTER rent has been taken out. The rates for this coming program are as follows: 

Vista Way:                    
2 Bedroom: $96          
3 Bedroom: $86      
                                       
The Commons 
1 Bedroom: $105
2 Bedroom: $105
3 Bedroom: $93
4 Bedroom: $93

Chatham Square 
1 Bedroom: $101
2 Bedroom: $101
3 Bedroom: $91                               
4 Bedroom: $91

Patterson Court: 
1 Bedroom: $101
2 Bedroom: $101
3 Bedroom: $91      

There are 2 persons to each room, if you have a 1 bedroom you will share it with 1 other person but if you have a 3 bedroom you will share your room with 1 person but have 4 other roommates for 5 roommates in total. To put rent into perspective, my rent for a 3 bedroom in Patterson last year was $89/week. Also, figure a week averages to 4 weeks a month. A fully furnished 3 bedroom at Patterson with bus transportation will cost you $364 a month and I was just paying $400 a month to live in an unfurnished crap house, I would take Patterson any day!

Once they cover the charges, from there you can pick preferences. I stress that they are preferences because housing cannot guarantee anything til day of  but having these preferences ahead of time gives them the chance to work around them. You can select your top 3 choices in regards to which complex you want and then your top 3 choices for room size. I picked: 1) 3 bedroom Patterson 2) 4 bedroom Chatham and then 3) 2 bedroom Commons. Once you pick a size, you can't pick that size for your next preference otherwise I would have done 3 bedroom for all of them. If you don't have a preference you can let housing pick for you!

You can also pick roommates for you as well. I was told I can pick up to 1 roommate with the guidelines that they needed to have the same arrival and departure date as me. I just opted for random!

When all is said and done you get to print a boarding pass to take with you to housing and 2 more forms of paperwork and bring with you to your arrival date. They also disclose that you will be turned away and told to come at a later time if you arrive to check in at or before 7 AM since housing quiet hours are in effect until then. Check in is normally either 8 or 9 until 12.

I know that was lengthy but I hope it was informative and answered some of your questions! This is new to me as well so I will do more housing follow up posts in regards to this selection once I actually check in in 12 days! Any remaining questions? Leave them in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. HELLO! I'm thinking of which apartment to stay in. Do you recommend commons, patterson or chatham. I would prefer a place with more bathrooms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! I definitely recommend Patterson. I've only stayed in PC and the Commons so I personally can't speak for Chatham. What I liked about PC was that if you're concerned with bathrooms, the sink area was separate from the bathroom. So behind the door was the toilet and shower but the sink and mirror were next to it but in the room. it was nice so that when my roommate was in the shower, I could still brush my teeth and go to bed. Overall, Patterson is the newest and nicest. My order is Patterson > Chatham > Commons > Vista.

      For bathrooms, each room gets their own, except Vista I believe. So in each bedroom there's 2 people and those 2 people share that bathroom..

      Delete