Sunday, April 28, 2013

Take the Dream with You, Wherever You May Go

I guess a good introduction into this blog would be how did I get here? Why am I doing what I am? Why am I ready to not only pack up my suitcase in the present but pack up my life in the future and move to Central Florida? Well, just like how all of this was started by a man and a mouse, mine was started by a wish and a dream.

I'm a baker, I'm a perfectionist. I can bake a cake and decorate it to look all nice and get compliments on it but there is always something wrong with it to me, something I can do better. I pay attention to detail, I love things with themes and symbolism, and who does symbolism better than Disney? You walk down Main Street and see the shop windows dedicated to Disney legends, the layout of the park so that way a cowboy from Frontierland isn't walking through Tomorrowland, the costumes, the hidden Mickey's, everything in Disney is placed with a purpose and stands for something whether it be as blatantly obvious or something only a diehard Disnerd would know.

 Almost 3 years ago my two best friends and I were fortunate enough to spend a week together in WDW after graduating high school (has it really been 3 years?!) The last time I had gone was when I was 6 so in a way, this was almost like going again for the first time. Needless to say I got wrapped up in it all and the outside world disappeared leaving my friends and I to play in a kingdom I had only seen in movies, Disney movies.

One of the shows that we saw was the Dream Along With Mickey that takes place outside of Cinderella Castle, it is magical and makes me cry every single time without fail.  People often come back to me and tell me Disney is childish or that I love it too much for an adult. Why? Is there an age limit to believe in the power of a dream? This show shows how everyone has  dream and the power to make them come true, and as Mickey says, when you find the dream inside your heart-anything is possible. In the show, they ask you to shout your dream real loud. If they had this show when I was 6 I probably would have shouted that I wanted to be a princess, but I distinctly remember shouting 'I want to be a baker in Disney World!' and from that moment on that became my dream. And if Mickey says it can come true, who's to stop me?

Little did I know that a few years later it would come true. I'll touch on how in another post but in my sophomore year of college I boarded a plane to bake for Disney, a dream come true. I worked with an 'ohana', I had a castle in my backyard, I could go see zebras anytime I wanted or fall 13 stories just for kicks, I was living a dream come true. Without Walt's dream, I wouldn't have mine and I don't know where I would be today. My dream isn't over, like Rapunzel I had to find a new dream. It's my dream to leave an impact on a company that has had such an impact on my life. Whether it be by being the best baker I can be or being a Disney trainer who trains people who are like me, I want to be great. I want people to come to my  location because they know Meg works there, I want people to see my name on a schedule and know that because I am there they have someone to turn to or that we will get everything done. I want that when I retire (if I ever do, I mean let's be honest) I leave knowing I left my mark, that what Walt gave me was in turn given back to the company he built of some loose change in his pocket and a sketch pad.

So to conclude this post I give you an assignment, go dream. Go come up with something incredible that you would like to do. It doesn't have to be something you have to do now, but make dreams for yourself and a plan to reach them. Dreaming and an imagination aren't limited to a 6 year old wanting to be a princess, they are for everyone for in our dreams we find ourselves, and you are never too old for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment