Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Baking for the World

So today is already my Friday, our lingo here in WDW for your last day of work before your days off. I'm sorry I didn't post as much during the week while things were still fresh but I often found myself passed out on my bed or watching Glee (yes, that is how I'm dealing with it. Oh how my heart broke) and figured I would just do a summary post. I'm currently righting this sick, joy. I never got my Spring allergies so I guess I had to get sick at some point. So on my day off I have to take a trip to the pharmacy, yeay!

But these past 3 days I have officially been in the Epcot production bakery. It's alright, I do miss my beloved Polynesian but once I get more used to it I think I'll be ok. I just hate being new, I hate asking questions and I hate being unsure of things. It's also weird because I'm the only CP there making me the newest and the youngest. Like for instance, today I piped a lot of mousse onto these brownies and my first few weren't too great, I'm the kind of person where I may not do it right the first time but that's how I learn, from my mistakes. Eventually they came out good but I will always dwell on the fact that I made a bad one versus a good one.

There's a lot to do in the bakery, we bake for 7 pavilions, 2 restaurants and probably other things I don't even remember. It's different than the Polynesian because they had shifts and each shift had designated duties so you always knew what was on your agenda when you walked in the door. My job back home is also a production bakery but I feel like I was on a looser leash there, I got to mix and bake and get experience with every aspect but since I'm new here, I'm not quite doing that yet. I've turned on an itty bitty mixer to make royal icing, something anyone can do, when I'm used to digging into an 80 quart mixing bowl of cheesecake or mousses. I know it won't be like this forever, eventually I'll get confident in what I'm doing and know my way around more, I just hate the beginning.

But everyone is really really nice. There's actually a woman who reminds me of someone I work with back home, it's almost like their twins, and she's been helping me a lot. There's another girl who has been really friendly to me from the beginning when she volunteered to take me on tour and then I met another man today who really has the material it takes to be a trainer. He tells me everything I need to do and always ends with asking if I have any questions and then he will come around and tell me if I'm doing good or not. It's a good learning environment and I do like that.

I can't really share backstage photos so none of the following are mine but here are some of the things that come out of our bakery. We don't plate them in full, there's usually a pastry chef at each location that takes what we give them and often adds the garnishes or sauce and any extras they have. Again, none of these photos are mine but I will leave a hyperlink underneath so you can go to the original source! And this isn't everything, just things I've actually remembered the name to or actually have a picture of!

Sticky Toffee Pudding from the UK Pavilion's Rose and Crown Pub (I've actually had this on vacation and it's delicious!) What we make: The Sticky Toffee Cake
Perry Sugar Cookie
credit: eatingwdw 
The Chocolate Wave from the Coral Reef. What we make: the chocolate cake (scooped 450 of those today!)
Coconut Mango Chiffon Cake from the Coral Reef. What we make: the cake, coconut mousse, mango mousse, and cookie on top

Baileys and Jack Daniel's Mousse from the Coral Reef. What we make: the mousse and cookie

Maple Creme Brulee from Le Cellier (it was being mixed and cooked today and it smells like breakfast! We make: the whole thing!

S'mores Brownie from the Liberty Inn. We make: it all! 

Jaffa Tarts from the Rose and Crown Pub. We make: the tarts
Key Lime Tart from Sunshine Seasons
There's more that we do as well this is just what I know for sure. Hopefully with all these desserts the bakery will pick up. I have arrived during an abnormally slow period and although I'm glad I'm not running around like a chicken with my head cut off, I do wish there was less idle time or waiting for something to do. But my 3 days are up and it's 2 days off. I just came back from a night out with friend, we got some food and drinks at Paradiso 37 in DTD and watched Despicable Me 2, which was adorable! Crashing and hopefully waking up a bit better in the morning (or afternoon) would be nice!







No comments:

Post a Comment