Saturday, May 18, 2013

The DCP: 1 Year Later

So it has been a year, 52 weeks, 365 days. 1 year ago from right now, my friend and I were sitting in Orlando International Airport waiting to catch our flight back to Newark Airport and home to New Jersey. It was all over, done.

I had already clocked out of the Polynesian for the last time.

One of my roommates had to leave a day early so on the same night as my last shift at the Polynesian, my other roommates threw us a going away party. We "Bernie"d in the living room, danced to One Direction (I successfully converted all my roommates into Directioners!) dressed up in our sombrero, planked, you name it, we just went crazy. They gave us each a card and my Aussie roommate gave us an Australian postcard, of course I still have both. The real kicker was that they made us a brownie cake iced with "Have A Magical Day!"

Maybe they could have taken over in the kitchen!

The next day was my last day with park access, I hit up all 4 in one day. Each on progressively got harder to say goodbye to. I went to DAK first and it was sad riding my favorite Expedition Everest for the last time. I got upset saying goodbye to DHS because that was where we came for our first night as Cast Members. Then I went to Epcot, not knowing it would be my home later this year. I walked around the pavilions, met up with my friend to say goodbye, then headed over to Magic Kingdom.


Oh how I cried. My roommate came over and we got Casey's Corner during Wishes! We walked around, rode rides, went shopping, and then came time to say goodbye. I remember us sitting on the border of the partners statue and just sobbing. There's a little thing at the end of the night where the castle turns blue and Mickey comes over the loudspeaker to say goodnight and wish you safe travels  if you're going home and for 3 months I never paid attention to that sentence, and now it applied to me. I cried because I was sad yes, but not because something hurt me or that I was mad, I was sad because I didn't want to go.

I had to come home and pack because as per usual, I left everything to the last minute (my baking structure leaves as soon as I leave the kitchen!) and then I woke up to say goodbye. I had to say goodbye to my apartment, I had to say goodbye to my roommates. Surprisingly I didn't cry, I don't think there was anything left TO cry. My friend and I wheeled our stuff out, turned in our housing IDs, and boarded the shuttle to the airport.

Those who fly will know you have a 50 lb. limit for your checked in bag. I picked mine up with no problem so I thought it was within limit. Well, constantly picking up bags of flour must have given me some muscle because my bag was really 68 lbs. Yeah. I spent about a good hour and a half trying to condense it down. I was throwing out old white shirts from my costume, flip flops, you name it. and I got it down to 51 pounds thinking maybe I can bat my eyes and have them let it go. Thankfully they did, with some added sass of course and it had to be checked by security, but it went on the plane. and so did I.

Life has not been the same since I've been back. I didn't want to come back partially because of the shitty summer I had in store because we were moving out of my home of nearly 18 years. but my work in Disney got me a job that I love here. School was a bit hard because I really just wanted to be back in Disney and I was going through my own things like depression and just losing all of my motivation for anything and everything. But Spring came around and I applied for the program and here I am, it's been a year since I left but it's only 50 days til I go back :)

No comments:

Post a Comment