Thursday, May 30, 2013

Getting from Point A to Point B: Traveling to Check In

I'm in the 30's until my check in day! 38 days from right now I should be relaxing in my hotel waiting for check in the next day, very excited!
One of the things I get asked a lot about is how to get to check in. I'm from New Jersey, not exactly a hop skip and a jump from Florida. You are on your own in regards to getting to Florida, Disney just tells you what time to be at Vista Way, the rest is up to you. But it's not as stressful as you think! Here is how I recommend starting your journey:

When to Arrive
The day before, at least that's what I strongly recommend. Check In is usually in the morning, I believe it's either 8 or 9 until 12. I believe in being there when they start, the sooner you show up, the sooner you get done. You may also have more housing options available. and plus, if you're late, that's not good. It pushes everything back. I would rather be in Florida the night before knowing all I had to do in the morning was wake up and walk over. I don't want to be at the airport and find out I have this problem or the shuttle service get stuck or anything else that Murphy's Law would throw my way. I just strongly advise getting there the night before and staying in a hotel for the night, it will take away some stress and give you time to relax!

Where to Stay
This is easy. The reviews for this hotel when I was doing my research said this should be considered the official hotel for DCP Check Ins. I'm talking about the Holiday Inn Resort Lake Buena Vista on Apopka Vineland Road (click the link to go to their website) I thought the hotel was REALLY nice, heck, even Disney level nice. It's where a lot of people go when they can't stay on property and they definitely make sure it isn't just a bed where you sleep at night. They were clean, spacious and had an Applebee's inside for dinner and breakfast. Looking for my date in July, a standard room for me is $134

Now, here s the real kicker as to why I recommend staying at this particular resort. 
It is directly across the street from Vista Way, where check in is. You walk out the door, cross a street, and there you are. Done. 

How to Get to Florida:
Driving: If you have a car and want to bring it with you, make it a road trip! Granted, each person has a different trip since you are driving from your home but you can make it fun along the way! For instance, if I were to drive down I'd be driving through the Carolinas and I've always wanted to go to Georgia, you can go at your own pace and see sights along the way! Just be sure that if you are driving down with a car you intend on using throughout your program that you have all your proper documentation with you.

Flying: One of the common methods of transportation, flying right into Orlando International Airport. Like I said, I recommend arriving the day earlier so your arrival to and from the airport isn't as hectic.

Train: Amtrak has a station in Orland using their travel trains. Depending on the location, you can also take you car on the train so you don't have to do the drive to Florida. For example, someone I know drives from New Jersey to Virginia, checks her car onto the train and then takes the train down to Florida. 

Getting to Vista
Whether you arrive the day before or the morning of, you need to get to Vista! If you don't have a car, how do you do it? Mears Transportation You can put your reservation in online where you select your route. *Edit: I previously stated Vista wasn't an option as a destination based on my experience last year but a follower just corrected me and told me that they are! I was picked up at my apartment my last day but didn't know they could drop you off there too!* Using my date as an example, a one way trip for an adult is $21 using a shared shuttle. It is shared so it may not go immediately to your hotel, they may make drop offs along the way. 

You make your reservation online and when you land, there is a Mears desk at the lower level of the airport. They give you one of the flashing pagers that will vibrate and flash when your van has arrived. They make it very easy. Mears is actually the company behind the Magical Express so they are very Disney dependable. 

Hopefully this took away some stress about figuring out how to get down there! My dad came with me last year but this time I'm going on my own, it is easily manageable to do it on your own, nothing too scary. As usual, please rate this post and leave any questions in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. I would also add in that at 4:45am when you are walking across 535 headed to VW, there is hardly any traffic. When you are crossing back over 535 after check-in is complete, traffic is extremely, extremely dangerous and will even try to go if you (as a pedestrian) have the right of way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that intersection is very dangerous. I will be posting a bit about it on here because I personally feel the need to address it. I witness a girl on the ICP get killed in a hit and run at the intersection and I can still see and hear it like it just happened, you really need to be very very careful when crossing that intersection. I didn't ind myself crossing it too often but if you do you need to keep your eyes and ears aware at all times.

    ReplyDelete