Monday, May 27, 2013

Disney Earning

I've been answering some questions regarding Disney and pay lately so  thought this would be a good time to make a post about earning in the Disney Culinary Program. From what I understand, the regular College Program pays varies but follows the same principle.

How Much?
The rates for pay in the Disney Culinary Program are as follows:
-$8.45/hour with $12.68/hour OT for parks and resorts
-$9.10/hour with $13.65/hour OT for Magic Kingdom locations.

Additional Hours
A typical shift is 8 hours. But what happens if you work more than 8 hours? This is very common in the food industry where we often may work doubles and a lot of overtime. The following is an example that we often use during our DCP Presentations to give you an example of what your pay may be like:

Monday: You work your normal 8 hour shift, earning $8.45 an hour.
Tuesday: You're off today. Go enjoy the parks!
Wednesday: Today you are scheduled for a 10 hour shit. Your first 8 hours are paid at $8.45/hour. When you reach your 9th hour, you get bumped to $12.68 for hours 9 and 10.
Thursday: Today you are working  double (16 hours). For the first 8 hours you get pad $8.45/hour. At the 9th hour you get bumped to $12.68/hour. At hour 14, you get bumped to $16.90 for the remainder of your shift. You closed the dinner shift and clocked out at midnight.
Friday: You are scheduled for the breakfast shift at 6 AM, this is less than 8 hours between shifts. When you come in, you are automatically clocked in at $16.90 for your entire shift.


Not too shabby huh? You are guaranteed at least 30 hours and can sometimes work upwards of 50 hours a week. My location was a bit overstaffed and I was still bringing in about 34 hours/week.

Bonus, no state taxes are taken out in Florida!

How Do I Get My Money?
You will be paid every week. If you bring a void check or your routing numbers with you, you can opt for direct deposit. Your first 2 paychecks however, or all of them if you opt for this option, will be put onto a visa-like card given to you by casting on your check-in day. This card acts like any other credit/debit card, can be used at ATMs, and gives you online access to check your balance. All your paychecks will directly go to this card, no paper needed.

Rent Payments
If you do your payroll calculations in your head and you see hm, I'm shore $80 something bucks, don't sweat! It's your rent! Disney directly takes your rent out of your paycheck every week, you don't have to write a rent check out to anyone!

Did I Make Money?
Yes, I did. I honestly cannot imagine anyone blowing all of their earnings before they come home. This is the real world, you have to watch your money. I budgeted my groceries at about $50 a shop and I always stayed within budget or around it. I've found that I stayed within my budget more in Florida than in Rhode Island. And pace your purchases. Yeah I ate in the parks and got my souvenir popcorn buckets and mickey bars, but not all in one shot! You're there for months at a time, you can buy popcorn this week and go to Be Our Guest next week. I did this with souvenir shopping as well, don't wait until right before you leave to buy EVERYTHING, it's much easier on the eyes to see it taken out over time than in one big withdrawal at the end.

Company D and Cast Connections will be your best friend, they offer discounted items to Cast Members. I got a WDW sweatshirt for $11 instead of $45 because there was a little blotch on the sleeve, you honestly wouldn't even see it unless I pointed it out to you, it took me ages to find it myself!

As long as you watch your money and balance your spending, I assure you you will come back with some pixie dust in your pocket and money in the bank!

No comments:

Post a Comment